Thursday, July 15, 2010

Video blogging would mean I'd have to shower . . .



Well, I am back home from this whirlwind leg of my book tour! I'm going to be in Syracuse on Saturday (and there will be rescue German Shepherds!), but that's just a day trip from Rochester.

I had a fantastic time on tour! I got to meet some of my favorite bloggers and see some dear old college friends. I stayed in a hotel I would have sworn was haunted if I actually believed in ghosts, ate more french fries than I'd care to admit, and almost learned how to live out of a suitcase effectively.

I missed J and the dogs terribly, especially Argo, who had surgery while I was gone. We were worried, again, that he might have cancer. I found out on Friday, as I was leaving Hamilton, NY, that his growth was benign and he's okay and I have finally started breathing like a normal person again. We didn't tell anyone about the surgery, because I was a little worried someone might ask me how he was doing at one of my tour stops and I'd turn into a big teary mess. On a good day, when everything is fine, there's a good chance I'd get teary telling you about Argo and what he means to me. That dog is a damn good friend, I tell you. Even though I've been home since Friday, Argo and Stella are both about as clingy as caninely possible right now. I think they missed me as much as I missed them.



I've been thinking about the best way to show and tell you about my travels in a little more detail. For the past two days I've intended to vlog about it, but I've been wallowing a little in the comforts of being home and for the past two days the idea of wearing clothes other than my Ithaca thrift store bowling shirt with the holes in the sleeve has been a hurdle I just can't make myself jump. Quite frankly, I'm not sure we know each other well enough yet for you to see me in my bowling shirt, and I'm not sure you want to get to the point where we know each other that well. Let's be like the close friends who tell each other almost everything, but refrain from talk of bodily functions and usually bother to put on pants that don't have an elastic waistband when we hang out together in public. At least 60% of the time . . .

What are your thoughts on vlogging? Please share.

In Mrs. X can suck it news, STAY made the local best seller lists in The Post Star, and the Denver Post and was a WAMC Weekly Roundtable Pick and an Orangeburg Library Patron Pick! I did a radio interview with the ladies at Who You Calling Old? The Miami Herald asked me what I'm reading! And, while I was away the links piled up a little bit (linking + iPad = huge pain the rear end). If I missed some links, please let me know! A HUGE thank you to everyone who has been putting kind words about STAY out there!! Your support really and truly means the world to me.

Pop Culture Junkie

9 comments:

Kirsten said...

Aw, Argo... glad you're OK! (you too, Allie :))

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

I'm a sucker for puppy-dog eyes :)... to vlog or not to vlog? I think once in a while is fun, but I love the written word, too.

Unknown said...

LOVE that pic of Argo!

Vlogs are a fun change of pace once in a while. You could always film from the neck up. Or have Argo sitting in front of you so we can't see your bowling shirt. ;)

The Modern Gal said...

I'm so glad to hear Argo is ok, and love that photo of him! Like, 'What are you doing, Mom??'

How about vlogging in your writing sweater? (or is sweatshirt, I can't remember.)

Kate said...

This is such a cute picture of Argo. He's all, "what are YOU doing?!" Glad to hear he's well.

As for vlogging, I guess you're right, it requires a whole bunch more effort than just typing in pjs. I think the occasional vlog is good but otherwise unnecessary.

courtney said...

So, so glad to hear Argo's okay!

I love the vlogging idea. I realized the other day that I feel like I know my blogfriends really well, yet I don't even know what their voices sound like. I know yours because we've talked on the phone, but it was a weird realization.

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Congrats on your book and thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad other people don't like to shower, too. I was thinking of starting a twitter thread on the longest anyone has gone without a shower (on purpose, not because they're like stranded!).

Denise Fasanello said...

Hey there. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Congrats on your book!

Denise Taylor said...

Loved the book. I hope Argo is doing ok. Can't wait to meet you tomorrow at the CNY GS rescue event. They are a great organization and helped us find our wonderful babies.