Friday, January 21, 2011

Book Trailer Fridays - Kelly O'Connor McNees & The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

I read Little Women in fourth grade, and was completely and totally mesmerized.  It was the first book that made me feel like I was living inside the story while I read it, because I was so emotionally invested in the characters.  I'd enjoyed reading up until then, but Little Women is the book that made me a reader, and it's still one of my all time favorites.

Little Women was also the book that sparked my interested in writers.  The woman behind the Little Women is just as interesting as the book itself.  Louisa May Alcott was a student of several members of the Transcendental Club, an abolitionist, and an advocate for women's rights.  She died at the age of 55, but wrote over 270 books in her lifetime.

I love that Kelly O'Connor McNees has written a novel about what could have happened in Louisa May Alcott's life to inspire the ending to Little Women.

Here's part of the description:

"In her debut novel, The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott, Kelly O’Connor McNees deftly mixes fact and fiction as she imagines a summer lost to history, carefully purged from Louisa’s letters and journals, a summer that would change the course of Louisa’s writing career—and inspire the story of love and heartbreak between Jo and Teddy “Laurie” Laurence, Jo’s devoted neighbor and kindred spirit."

Here's the trailer:



And here's what reviewers are saying about The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott:

"…The Lost Summer is the kind of romantic tale to which Alcott herself was partial, one in which love is important but not a solution to life’s difficulties. Devotees of Little Women will flock to this story with pleasure." 
– The Washington Post

“… the book is so compelling and well written that I hated to see it end.”
– Historical Novels Review
“… McNees deftly combines historic figures and documented aspects of Louisa’s life with speculations about what might have been. Fans of Little Women may be first in line to read the novel, but the book will also appeal to others who enjoy historical romance.”
– Library Journal

Check out Kelly's website, and follow her on Twitter!

4 comments:

Stephanie Cowell said...

I love this book. The portrait of Louisa is still haunting me. For me, biographies cannot begin to bring people to life as can good historical fiction. I really felt what Louisa had to go through to write her books!

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

How have I missed this for the past nine months???? Logging onto Amazon RIGHT NOW to snap up a copy. Little Women remains one of my all-time favorites...may have to go back and re-read it (again), too. :)
Thanks, Allie!!

Kelly O'Connor McNees said...

Thank you, Allie, for this post! And Stephanie, CLAUDE AND CAMILLE has been in my TBR pile for waaay too long. I know I'm going to love it as so many others have.

Heidi, as a fellow LITTLE WOMEN devotee, I hope you like the book! Glad you found it here. Warm wishes to you all.

Andi said...

Hilarious trailer! I can't wait to read this! I was a bit mad at first when Jo & Laurie didn't end up together, and even more mad when he starting spending time with Amy. It just seemed so wrong. But when I kept reading, they seemed to fit together so well that it didn't bother me anymore. I actually liked how the book turned out even though it's not what I expected. I SO love what you said about living inside the story. That's totally how it is when reading Little Women, the characters are so wonderful and lovable!