Thursday, September 25, 2008

This, however, is something to put up with



# 24 - I wear the ugliest sweater known to man when I write.


When I saw Wonder Boys for the first time and got to the part where Michael Douglas wears that raggedy pink chenille robe while he's writing, I almost died, because I do something very similar.

I bought the ugliest sweater known to man used from a thrift shop that sold clothes by the pound when I was in college. It was my "smoking sweater." I bought it the sweater because I didn't want to get my winter coat all stinky when Lady and I smoked Swisher Sweets on the dorm balcony. We took turns spitting over the railing, and thought being cigar smoking, lugie hocking girls made us so bad-assed.

I haven't smoked a crappy cigar, or any cigar for that matter, in years and years and years and years. But the sweater gets lots of use. As soon as it gets cold around here, I throw my writing sweater on when I work.

It's ESPRIT, probably circa 1988, made from acrylic yarn, about 5 sizes too big, and scratchy as all hell, but it's really really warm. I guess it's my security blanket or something. I've actually never really thought much about why I'm so attracted to my writing sweater. Maybe it reminds me of good times with Lady. Maybe it feels like my lifeline back to me when I'm spending time hanging out in someone else's head. Maybe it's a statement to myself that it doesn't matter what I look like while I'm writing. Or maybe, I like it just because I like it.

On Tuesday, when my husband came home from work, I was wearing the sweater, which falls halfway to my knees, a pair of black and white running shorts, and big fluffy pink socks with black flip-flops. "Oh sweetie," J said laughing, "Nice outfit."

But damn, if I didn't get some awesome work done on my April book on Tuesday. There's magic in that sweater, I tell you.

#25 - I clean up real nice, I swear.

9 comments:

shelleycoughlin said...

Wow, maybe I need a smoking sweater! I haven't smoke a clove cigarette for about 10 years, but just the scent of them brings me back to college evenings outside the library...

Noelle said...

I haven't thought about Esprit in years. That was my favorite place to buy clothes for about a year sometime in the late 80's.

And I have a hoodie that I wear at work almost every day. But it doesn't have the same charm at all.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, whatever happened to Esprit?

I have to be absolutely comfortable to do my best writing, so I can support your sweater.

Mickey said...

I went through a cigar phase when I was 18-19. There is no clothing associated with it, though.

Maybe I need a writing sweater.

Courtney said...

Wow, that is one ugly sweater! But I'm glad it brings you so much joy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Wendy said...

Can I borrow your sweater?? Maybe I'll get some good writing ideas too. LOL.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Actually, maybe we could trade - my summer sandals for your sweater? Hmmmmmmm? O.K. maybe not.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

That is awesome! I love that you have a sweater that you always wear, it is very comforting somehow. I bet you just love to curl up in it and work. Thanks for coming to visit me today, it is so nice to meet you! :)
Carrie

Melissa said...

Thanks for coming by my blog. I adore your blog! I will be a regular visitor.

Anyways, I have sweater that kinda reminds me of yours ~ it's a little itchy, but oh so warm. I don't wear it to write in though. I work in pj's ~ as a matter of fact I live in pj's.

~Falling leaves~
Melissa