Thursday, October 28, 2010

Book Club!



Last night I have the pleasure of hanging out with the lovely ladies of the Holy Trinity Church Book Club in Webster, NY.* They've been together for about three years and have an impressive list of books they've read and discussed. They're insightful, warm, and welcoming, and I am thrilled that they chose to read STAY and invite me to their book discussion. It was my first book club visit and it was so much fun!

We had such a great chat, and it means so much to me to have had the chance to talk with them. They asked about my writing process, and what my day to day life looks like. We talked about what it feels like to have a girlfriend who always seems just a little more perfect than you are, why Van felt the way she did about Diane, and what Peter was really about to say when he was interrupted. One of the ladies said she enjoyed watching Van grow as a person. Then another chimed in to say that she felt like she grew as a person reading STAY. She said that she had instant opinions about Diane, Janie, and Peter, and as she read further and learned more about the whys of who they are, it changed how she felt about them. This made her think about how sometimes we're too quick to judge people without trying to figure out where they're coming from.

I am honored by what she said, and everyone's kind words about STAY. I think the biggest gift of being a writer is to hear that what I wrote means something to readers, and I am so thankful for this.

It was a wonderful way to spend an evening! And they sent me home with treats for all of my furry friends and a lovely plant that is brighting up my office so much on this dark and dreary day! So sweet!

Thank you so much, Holy Trinity Book Club!

*Fun trivia: The "tagline" for the town of Webster, NY (which is, admittedly, quite lovely) is "Where Life is Worth Living," and it has always amused me. Apparently, it's not worth it elsewhere. I guess we'll have to move. :)

3 comments:

Shari said...

How fun!

Isn't it a truly amazing feeling when someone tells you that your writing resonates and resounds well beyond the book's pages? I can definitely see how true that is of STAY. So glad you had such a wonderful experience!

courtney said...

The more I read about other people's impressions of STAY, the more I want to go back and reread it to see if anything makes me feel differently than it did the first time. I think I'll do that!

StephTheBookworm said...

Wow, that is great! Sounds like you had a really nice time.